Monday, May 28, 2012

Don't Rebuild

Usually when a storm like Beryl comes along and destroys homes, we would seek to rebuild as soon as possible.  It is a natural inclination for us to rebuild.  We may try to improve some on the previous structure, but rebuilding is a must.
   We can do that spiritually too and it can destroy the work of Jesus in us.  Our life in Christ is a relationship built on faith in Him.  People in relationship do things naturally to communicate, spend time together, work together, share friendships, and show loving care to one another.  That is the life of faith.  But I have watched too many people start down the road of faith, only to revert back in their thinking and actions to doing things simply to earn God's favor.  And no one can be saved that way.  In Galatians, Paul speaks to this very issue because some people were trying to get the Galatians to follow the law as well as faith in Christ.

15 “We who are Jews by birth and not ‘Gentile sinners’ 16 know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.
17 “If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! 18 If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. 19 For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

He appeals to them to not fall back into a mindset or pattern that tries to please God by following a set of rules.  Christ died and showed us His grace to set us free to live in a vibrant relationship with Him.  In fact, He lives His life in us.  I can truly live in no other way than to experience the grace of God daily.  I can't earn God's favor.  I can only enjoy it by dying with Christ.

Today we celebrate freedom because others have died to earn it and preserve it for us.  The same is true for us spiritually.  Our freedom can only be enjoyed because Christ died for it and preserves it.  

Don't try and fight a battle that is not yours to fight.  You can't win.  Freedom and life are found only in Him.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment