Friday, January 20, 2012

Nothing to Say?

I am always impressed with those who say little but say so much in what they say.  That comes from a guy who has spent his lifetime trying to say less.  We sanguines are often guilty of talking too much.  I found that Jesus told us how to be more focused in what we say.  If we want our words to count in life, here is the formula:  listen, and then only repeat what you are told.
In Matthew 10:27, Jesus said, "What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the housetops."  Jesus also told his listeners in John 12:  49 For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. 50 I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”
Interesting.  Jesus spoke opening what He heard from the Father.  And not only did the Father tell Him what to say but even how to say it.
I am encouraged to take more time alone in the quiet place to listen (reading of God's Word and silently listening through meditation) to what the Father has to say, and then be sure to speak to others what He says and how He says it.  That will make my talk meaningful.

One other caution.  He warns that we will be held accountable for every idle word.  That is a motivation to greater restraint.  Less words, less ammo to be held accountable for.  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment