Saturday, February 4, 2012

Where Did That Come From?

"But things were going so well. . . ."  I often hear or have said that statement in amazement when I hear of an unexpected report of a sinful choice made by someone who is seemingly moving forward powerfully on the journey of faith.  They did what?  Why would they do such a thing? 
   Before we travel too far down the road of indignation, we must all confess that we are just as capable or vulnerable to do evil if we do not guard our hearts.  David dropped his guard, was not where he should have been, was in coast mode, and eventually arrived where he did not want to go by a series of bad choices. 
But I want to focus on what God said to him.  Listen carefully to the build up before the question:

This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more. 9 Why did you despise the word of the LORD by doing what is evil in his eyes?

Like the Israelites coming out of Egypt, David had experienced the power of God, the blessing of God, the protection of God.  He acknowledged and proclaimed it to others.  And God says here He would have given David even more, but now he was going to miss out.  I wonder what the "more" could have been?  The consequences of David's choices were a family in strife and tension; public humiliation for his private sin; and the heartache of the death of an innocent child because of his sin. 

This motivates me to guard my own heart.  I take time frequently (and I invite you to do so) to sit and meditate on the blessings of God in my life and the myriads of ways He has guided my path in my life.  I don't want to forget so that I can keep the perspective that except for the grace of God, my path could be the same as David's.  I don't mean the same sins.  I just know that all of us are capable of making one seemingly "not so wrong" choice that leads to another, then another, then we wonder how we got to where we are.  And we miss out on the "even more" God had planned for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment