Wednesday, December 16, 2015

A Life of Anticipation

I love old people.  I have learned so much by sitting and listening to stories of days past and experiences that speak of the glory of God.  I also love young people.  I am inspired and encouraged by their energy and idealism.  They are not so far removed from their childhood as to have lost their sense of wonder.

Sometimes we are blessed to be around old people who have the heart of a young person.  That describes what I read about Simeon and Anna.  The Scripture says of Simeon:

He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was on him. 26 It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Messiah.

He was expecting, looking to receive to himself, the Messiah, the consolation of Israel.  The Spirit moved him into the Temple courts right at the time Mary and Joseph arrived to follow the requirements of the Law in dedicating Jesus.  Simeon recognized this was the Messiah.  Now God could take him home because His promise to allow him to see the Messiah before he died was fulfilled.  And he spoke to Jesus' parents about Him.  Read more here.  He was living in anticipation and giddy as a little boy when he saw Jesus.  

Anna was next.  She was very old.  Her life was worship, fasting, and prayer.  She came up, thanked God and spoke about the child to anyone who was looking for the redemption of Jerusalem.  Her life was daily anticipation and its fulfillment caused her to talk and talk.  I would have loved to have been on the Temple Mount that day and have seen the interactions.  I can feel my heart skip a beat right now.

That was Jesus' first coming.  The question I had to ask myself as I am growing older is am I living in anticipation with an older body but a young heart?  Ok, I'm not old yet but I'm not young either.  No matter how old I get I don't want to lose a young and vibrant spirit of anticipation.  I want to never quit believing in a God who is redeeming us.  I want to live a life of worship, praise and prayer.  I want to always be looking forward.  The Apostle Peter put it this way:

13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. 2 Peter 3:13-14

Simeon and Anna knew the promises of God and no matter what was happening around them they believed God was going to fulfill them.  And they lived in anticipation of that day.  And their lives were righteous, holy, and devout in preparation.  My yearning is to live a spotless, blameless life today in anticipation of that second coming.  As it has been said, I want to live today in light of that day.  How about you??

No comments:

Post a Comment