Wednesday, January 4, 2023

The Inner Being

Someone has said that we display externally what we are living internally.  After speaking in chapter 2 about how when we were dead  in our sin, Christ made us alive through faith.  The emphasis is clearly on what Christ has done.  And now Paul prays this for the Ephesians:

“I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.”  ‭Ephesians‬ ‭3‬:‭16‬-‭17‬a

Notice the source of the strength:  it is God using His own resources, His glorious riches.  Not long ago I was given an assignment I neither wanted nor felt adequate for.  But it was given to me.  I did not have the personal resources to handle it.  But out of His abundance riches, God showered and showed His resources through the task.  It was an amazing experience.  And glory came to Him.  That day, I felt His power.  He strengthened me in a way I could never imagine.

So Paul is praying for them to be strengthened with power in their inner being. Did he stop there?  No, his prayer went on to include Christ dwelling in their hearts through His Spirit.  Christ being formed in us.  Christ directing us.  Christ addressing the issues internally we are living out externally.  Christ in us, the hope of glory.  But also the “strength for today.”

So that is my prayer today, that Christ may strengthen you in your inner being, and that He may dwell in each heart by faith.  Pray this for me as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment